( Written for W3 Prompt #68: Wea’ve Written Weekly, posted on August 16, 2023)
Don’t call me that for every cat is not pussycat,
though I had a cousin named pussycat,
Now, Don’t ask me how she is or gone where,
rather ask me what specialty that I have,
or maybe, what can I do for you,
Outer space makes me special where I have been,
The first cat that could courage that was I,
firstly, pussycat was approached but she got frightened,
even I was worried more than a little,
then thought, there must be a difference between a cat and a mouse,
so I dared the rocket drive and leave my chicken-heart under,
Now I am proud of myself and really thank her,
I am Félicette, and I am not for that pussycat brand chair.
Good evening and see you next time.
I used the Nursery Rhyme, Pussycat- Pussycat, as my Golden Shovel poem and used the lines ” pussycat pussycat where have you been” and “I frightened a little mouse under her chair” for this. Further, Félicette (French pronunciation: [felisɛt]) was a stray Parisian cat who is the only cat to have been launched into space. She was launched on 18 October 1963 as part of the French space program.
- Write an ekphrastic poem in response to this image of a yawning cat created by Matt Snyder.
- ek·phra·sis: “description” in Greek. A vivid description of a work of art. Through the imaginative act of narrating and reflecting on the “action” of a painting or sculpture, the poet may amplify and expand its meaning.
- For the especially ambitious- If you’re feeling ambitious, try to write your ekphrastic poem in the form a golden shovel (of any poem of your choice).
- Golden shovel: A poetic form in which the last word of each line forms a second, pre-existing poem (or section thereof), to which the poet is paying homage.
- Click here for a full explanation of the golden shovel. Submit: Click on ‘ Mr. Linky’ below-
In order to participate and share a poem, open up this blog post, outside of the WordPress reader. At the bottom, just below these words, you will see a small rectangular graphic with the words ‘Mr Linky’. Click on that to submit.
Submissions are open for 5 days, until Monday, August 21, 10:00 AM (GMT+3)